For our office in Delft, the Netherlands, we currently have a number of exciting and challenging internships available within the Innovations Department’s materials research group. The main activity of the research group is to investigate and review the application of materials (metals, polymers etc.) in offshore structures to develop a better understanding of the behaviour of such materials for use as structural components.
Our research is primarily focused on the application of steels and welding techniques. We are also analysing composites and polymers and their potential application to structures used in harsh offshore environment. Possible internship topics include:
- Innovative welding processes;
- Innovative post-weld treatments and their combination;
- Welding repair techniques;
- Residual stresses originated from welding;
- Innovative methods of weld quality control;
- Fatigue and fracture resistance;
- Materials for dredging applications;
- Materials to be used in arctic environment;
- Steel wire ropes properties in different applications;
- Materials behaviour in specific heavy lift operations;
- Behaviour of concrete coating on pipes in pipeline installation process;
- Mechanical properties of elastomers and their adhesion with steel substrate (e.g. polymer coating);
- Innovative methods of pipe surface cleaning before coating application (e.g. laser cleaning);
- Structural composites application in offshore environment (properties, maintenance, integration with steel parts).
- BSc or MSc student in Mechanical, Maritime or Offshore Engineering, Material Science or equivalent;
- Good command of the English language, both written and spoken;
- Flexible, motivated and forward thinking;
- Good analytical skills;
- Team player with ability to work on own initiative;
- An affinity with material testing and/or modelling is preferable;
- A Mentor will oversee your progress and development throughout the duration of the internship.
For further information, please contact Susie Toppler, Recruiter at Allseas Engineering B.V.: +31 15 268 1800.